The New Distribution Capability (NDC) is a travel industry-supported program standard set by International Air Transport Association (IATA) for airline travel. NDC is an XML-based system that was introduced in 2012 to change how travel agents and customers around the globe access airline offerings. This standard gives airlines the capability to share, promote and sell their goods and services directly to customers using rich-content like images, videos and more.
GDS vs NDC?
GDS vs NDC?
The Global Distribution System is the intermediary between a travel agent and the airline. It is the reservation system that grants travel agents the access to book, change or cancel a booking/ticket, create hotel booking and many other ancillary services.
NDC is a new industry standard related to what airlines offer. It allows airlines to directly share their offerings with consumers using marketing materials that can differentiate them from their competitors. It allows airlines to create a more immersive shopping experience
NDC was created to allow the industry to transform its ability to sell its products, companies, and business travelers.
• Personalization – NDC has enabled airlines to directly replicate the content from their website to the travel agent’s channel, benefiting themselves, the travel agent and the customer.
• Marketing becomes quicker – Airlines can immediately release offers across all channels and make it easier for travel agents and customers to find the right products
• More Differentiation in Products – Airlines can post rich content on their websites, which can now be presented across all channels. This gives travel agents and customers the opportunity to clearly differentiate between brand experiences before making a decision.
Advantages of NDC
NDC has ensured that agents selling tickets are up-to-date with the airline’s offers. This has also allowed customers to be able to see the full range of products and services the airline provides. The benefits of NDC are:
• Travel agents and customers can get direct access to all airline offerings with easy differentiation
• The entire experience of NDC is catered towards personalization.
• Comparison can be done between all airline options, including different services, products, and promotions, not only price.
• Airlines can distribute their products rapidly across multiple channels
• Travel agents can offer the same content that airlines display on their websites.
NDC has provided airlines and travel agents a better end-to-end solution for an overall enhanced customer experience.